Florence, one of most beautiful Italian cities, full of history and arts, is comparable with Venice and Rome. The city is the birthplace of the Renaissance and has been called "the Athens of the Middle Ages". Its historic centre has been declared a UNESCO World Heritage Site.
The best-known site of Florence is the Cathedral Santa Maria del Fiore, known as The Duomo. The nearby Campanile and the Baptistery are also highlights. The Baptistery is decorated notably by Ghiberti´s Gates of Paradise.
Other most important sights of Florence are:
- Ponte Vecchio – Old bridge rebuilt in the 14th century;
- The church of San Lorenzo, which containt the Medici Chapel with Michelangelo statues of the Medici family;
- Uffizi gallery, containing large collections of Rennaisance paintigs;
- Loggia dei Lanzi at Piazza della Signoria, with Cellini´s bronze Perseus;
- Michelangelo´s David in the Galleria dell'Accademia. The copy of the statue stands in front of the Palazzo Vecchio, the town hall of Florence;
- Basilica Santa Groce, dominating the Santa Groce square;
- Brancacci Chapel, housing outstanding frescoes by Masaccio and Filippino Lippi;